Monday, June 10, 2013

Living just enough for the city


   This weekend I went to the city again.
   As I was walking towards the train station in town, two old ladies who were walking by called out to me and asked if I could read Japanese. Yeah, I can read a little, I said.

   "Oh good! We'd like to tell you the good news about the Bible."

   They handed me a little pamphlet with a picture of a (Western) man and woman lounging around in a field of wheat. Oh no, I thought. These two ladies are going to latch on to me and never let go until I promise to come to their Bible study group.


   Past experience told me that's what should have happened. Instead, the two ladies waved goodbye and went on their merry way. I skimmed through the pamphlet and realized I had just had my first ever encounter with Jehovah's Witnesses. In Japan, of all places.


   I did parkour on Sunday and now I'm super sore. My hands are finally getting tougher, though. Parkour is a nice balance to my workweek. Monkeying around with a bunch of young, free-spirited people is very refreshing. They even hug each other sometimes.


   This was a neighborhood a bit farther away from downtown. It was really hilly and pretty. There were also a bunch of fancy looking houses blocked off with walls and coated in security cameras. Yakuza homes? Politicians? Who can say? Speaking of yakuza, someone told me that they run most of the construction companies that maintain the roads in Japan. I don't know if it's true, but if so, they are doing a great job. The roads here are great.


   I took the elevator to the top of a weird modern monstrosity and took this picture from its roof. That's the park that cuts through the dowtown area.

No comments:

Post a Comment