Wednesday, July 24, 2013

You can see it in their eyes

   Sometimes my students ask me why I wear glasses.


   At first I didn't understand the question. They had classmates who wore glasses. Surely they knew that some people have bad eyesight.  But then I started asking around and discovered that a lot of people in Japan choose to wear contacts because they don't like the look of glasses. I guess hipsters haven't convinced everyone how cool they are yet.


   I blame this on Japanese tv shows. Usually when characters wear glasses, they're either evil or dorky. If they're dorky, someone eventually makes them take off their glasses and their eyes get ten times bigger and then everyone realizes that they're pretty. And then they finally find someone to marry and they never wear glasses again. Cause that's how things work. If they're evil, their glasses will often glow opaque as they plot and scheme. You can't see their eyes so you know they're evil. Often they'll menacingly adjust their glasses while they're calmly explaining how they are going to murder everyone.

 
   My glasses usually start to glow evilly when I'm scheming, too. Such a give away.

No comments:

Post a Comment