Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Going for a walk


   Today I went for a walk along the river. There's a path that runs along it for about a mile to the west, and I'm not sure how far to the east. It's raised up pretty high and serves as a protection against the town flooding. The mountains on the other side of the river are very steep. Before I saw them up close, I thought there might be hiking trails in them, but I think it's highly doubtful unless the other side has gentler slopes. 


   There weren't too many other people walking on the path, and most of them were older. There were also a few bikers, and I saw a lady walking her chihuahua. 





  If you look closely at the top of the mountain in the center, you'll see a temple or castle. I definitely have to figure out how to get up there, because the view must be amazing. When I got to the end of the path, I could see that there's a road that tunnels through that mountain.


   I guess this is the only photo that actually shows the river itself! You can see that it's pretty rocky.

   I also went shopping again today. Vegetables are pretty reasonable here, but fruit is very expensive. For example, apples were about 120Yen each, which is roughly $1.30. The only fruit I ended up buying was bananas, but I bought plenty of onions, peppers, and asparagus. Olive oil is also really expensive over here, but the canola oil they were selling looked really low quality, so I decided to buy it anyway.
   Butter is also ridiculously expensive. You can get half a pound for about $4.00.

   On the plus side, senbei are really cheap here!

   In Japanese grocery stores, the check-out people don't bag your food for you. Instead they put it back in your cart and you bring it over to a little bagging station. However, there aren't any real bags here, just little ones to wrap vegetables or meat in. People bring their own bags. Some supermarkets also set out empty boxes that you can use.

No comments:

Post a Comment