Thursday, April 11, 2013

Tell me if you please, does your house have the central heating?



   These past few days have been very chilly for April. The temperature dips down to the mid 30's at night, and creeps up to the high 50s during the day. Even the locals say it's cold. I can't wait for summer, although I'll regret saying that when I have to sweat away in a suit all day. I confirmed that my apartment does not have central heating. It isn't an issue yet, but this fall I'll have to buy a space heater. According to an informal survey of other people I know living in Japan, lack of central heating is standard for apartments outside of big cities.
   I do, however, have an air conditioner. To me, heating seems like a basic necessity and air conditioning a luxury. But the person who designed this building had different priorities.


   However, if my apartment had central heating, I wouldn't have an excuse to by a kotatsu. Kotatsu's are little tables with a heater on the underside of the table top, and a blanket that dangles to the floor, trapping the heat under the table. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPw-MOQXpd8
   I already found a stack of them at a second hand shop.


   I don't have much to say today, but I'm definitely going to attempt an adventure this weekend, either by exploring some nearby ruins, or by taking a train trip into the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment