Sunday, April 7, 2013

Paper products

   No pictures today! It's been rainy.

   I've noticed when I go to public restrooms that they are never stocked with paper towels. They don't have hand dryers, either. Instead, most people seem to carry small towels or packets of tissues with them to dry off their hands after they wash them. I haven't noticed paper towels being sold in supermarkets, either. They sell tissues and toilet paper, and occasionally small packs of napkins, but that's about it. This might be because I'm in a small town, not a big city.

   I went to KFC the other day -- I didn't want to, but I needed a place to park while I checked out a dry cleaner's, and KFC was the only place around with parking. After I ran to the cleaner's, I felt obliged to buy something, so I ordered some nuggets. Fast food doesn't taste any better in Japan, it's just different.
   Anyway, I took a few napkins with me on my way out, and noticed that they weren't made of paper - they were made of plastic. The coffee shops I've been to also use these plastic napkins. They're made of several thin layers of slightly absorbent plastic. They don't feel as convincing as paper napkins.

  
   On the other hand, if you want some scented wipes, any drug store will have a vast selection. They're sold in little packs of 10 - 50 wipes, and they come in flowery scents for women and cologne-like scents for men. I haven't seen many people using them so far, but I remember when I was here in the summer, people used them all the time to freshen up.

No comments:

Post a Comment